Dear Livelihood friends and family:
Wouldn’t it be great if I had won the 2012 Podcast Awards for Best Produced and Best Business so I could make an emotional acceptance speech?
Literally thousands of shows were nominated, and millions of votes cast from which the finalists were selected for the 2012 Podcast Awards. Saying that “it’s an honor just to be nominated” is an understatement: it’s a gift of support beyond measure.
Livelihood is about reclaiming our professional identities, and creating livelihoods by bringing our passion and expertise to solving problems and finding niche opportunities in the marketplace. So many people have made these first 40 episodes possible, and I am honored to be acknowledge and appreciate their support:
- My husband, Barry Nierenberg: “I am, because you are.”
- My podcast coach, Dave Jackson, of the School of Podcasting, whose talent for teaching, coaching and technology guided me into this new world; and audio producers Trina Sargalski; Anais Alexandre; Shea Shackelford; audio editors Jamie Courville, Nate Tabak; and transcriptionist Heather Larson– who helped me create 40 sixty minute shows in the first year of broadcasting.
- A.I.R. (Association of Independents in Radio) who welcomed me into a professional community of audio journalists and storytellers; and awarded me a mentoring opportunity with Dan Grech, NPR producer and current News Director of the WLRN-Miami Herald News. Thanks, Dan- you helped me understand what it means to be the host and voice of a show.
- Steve Katsikis, professor of psychology and musician extraordinaire, who gave us permission to use original music from his band Little Atlas that we use to play to create the musical personality for the show.
- Joseph Dobzynski who launched and promoted Livelihood on Radio Ear Network Global Project and Todd Cochran, CEO of RawVoice Inc, who chairs the Podcast Awards and brought them to New Media Expo.
- More than forty amazing guests shared their stories, ideas, insights and hard-won truths on Livelihood; the best part of this gig is how much I learn from each one of you.
Special thanks to the earliest listeners to the show, who gave me confidence when all I had was bravado; and the growing community of listeners who are finding the show and sharing it with their friends and colleagues. A standing ovation, please, for those of you who responded to the “call to action” to nominate Livelihood and vote it into the finalists—especially teams Rosenbaum; Nierenberg; Zangwill; Fass; Drezen; Ross; Heyison; Sumner; Popelka; Berse; Ulman; Miami Fellows Class Six; Alpha Epsilon Phi (Madison WI) and our Facebook fans.
We’re excited about the upcoming season which launches this spring with some amazing new guests, authors and celebrities. Thank you for helping launch this Livelihood community. Let’s keep up the good work.
Marcy Rosenbaum, Producer and Host Livelihood: Creating What’s Next